Sector: Bespoke Packaging Design & Manufacture
Location: Westbury, Wiltshire
Package: Basic Salary up to £43,000 (dependent on experience) plus Bonus &
flexible company benefits
Hours: 08:30 to 17:00, Monday to Friday
Westbury Packaging, Design and Manufacture specialize in the design and manufacture of innovative, high-performance packaging, from simple corrugated cardboard boxes to highly engineered transit packaging for a multitude of applications and industries. Operating out of a production facility in Westbury, Wiltshire, we work with clients locally, throughout the UK and worldwide.
Production Manager Role
We are looking for a Production Manager to oversee a team of Supervisors, Team Leaders, and approximately 35+ full-time staff. This role is responsible for overseeing the shifts Production facilities, ensuring that the goods are produced efficiently, on time and to a high standard as per the customers’ specifications. The role is responsible for completing the daily plan and holding Supervisors and Team leaders accountable for their team’s performance. This role would suit someone who is very hands on but can also step back and see the bigger picture and make strategic decisions in a fast-paced environment.
Production Manager Key Responsibilities
- Oversee the production process, co-ordinate production plans ensuring resources are allocated appropriately.
- Own process efficiency for both shifts, both driving improvements and delegating tasks to the team leaders and their teams.
- Follow the daily plan and be able to change the plan as required to meet customer requirements.
- To build and develop the production team; ensuring people are adequately trained and held accountable to meet performance criteria.
- Liaise throughout the day with the Planning Coordinator, sales, and logistics to progress customers’ orders.
- Responsible for the upward communication of issues as and when required.
- To be fully involved in x 2 daily sales meetings on progress of required jobs
HR & People Management
- To Conduct inductions on new staff and appraising of existing team members annually.
- To continue to improve the absence levels on both shifts by continually monitoring and managing absences.
- Manage clocking of staff making sure they are paid correctly.
- To be available for staff to speak to you and invite for conversation and file note where necessary
- To carry out Disciplinary hearings as required for the Shift.
- Health & Safety
- Ensure all safety requirements and training are always adhered to as per Health and Safety Policy, risk assessments and Safe Work Practices.
- To encourage safe work practice and use of behavioral observations.
- Manage staff PPE adherence including company uniform
- Closely liaise with Design to ensure work instructions are concise and any queries dealt with in a timely fashion.
- To create quality alerts as and when required to keep operatives focused on what is causing issues for our customers.
- To communicate performance to team leaders and manage that they are being communicated down the line to machine operatives.
Do you have the correct profile?
We are welcoming applications from experienced senior production/manufacturing professionals who meet with the following criteria…
- Previous Management experience in a manufacturing facility of a large team.
- Use of IT systems including MS Office and some type of MRP/Production Planning package.
- Working with heavy manufacturing machinery.
- Experience of coaching and mentoring staff.
- Positive mindset
- Strategic, with ability to create a plan for Production going forward.
- Approachable, easy to work with.
- KPI Reporting
Any of the following credentials would also be useful (although not essential) …
- Experience working with Corrugated / Timber / Foam packaging materials.
- H&S qualification (IOSH)
- Counterbalance Forklift License
- First aid at work qualification
- Lean implementation (Six sigma or similar lean qualification would be advantageous but not necessary)
- JIT/Kanban production – batch methods
- Leadership / Management qualification (ILM, CMI or similar)
We provide a competitive basic starting salary and operate a range of rewarding bonus/incentive schemes. Our flexible employee benefits can include: –
- 23 days annual leave (rising to 27 days with service) plus all public/bank holidays
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free parking at most of our sites
- Employee assistance program to support & advise with well-being & any issues
- Extensive range of training/development & potential progression opportunities
- Employee discount scheme (discounts on several major retail/leisure brands)
- Annual paid Volunteering Day
- Simply Health/Dental Cover option or BUPA cover for qualifying roles
- Enhanced HR policies relating to various employee rights & entitlements
- Long service awards (5-40 years)
- Charitable giving options
- Financial support with eye-tests/purchasing glasses (DSE users only)
- O2 Mobile discount scheme (up to 25% off)
- Macfarlane Group is also dedicated to maximizing every employee’s potential, by providing career development plans and pathways in an environment that fosters personal growth and continuous improvement.
How to apply/next steps
This is an urgent appointment whereby we will be working to identify and review the best of applicants swiftly in the hope of selecting the successful candidate to commence with us ASAP. Please note that Macfarlane Group supports ‘hybrid working’ where possible and we often conduct our first stage interviews via video. To make an application please simply click ‘apply’ ensuring that your CV is up to date and relevant.
All applications will be acknowledged, shortlisted applicants normally hearing from us within a week or two. Unsuccessful applicants will also be notified at the end of our process, although if you haven’t heard from us within 2-3 weeks of applying, please assume your application has been unsuccessful.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES PLEASE