Location: Coventry (Middlemarch Business Park)
Package: Competitive Basic Salary (dependent on experience)
plus company car (or allowance), & flexible benefits package including hybrid working, up to 27 days holiday (Plus additional annual leave purchasing scheme)
Sector: Packaging distribution
We, the UK’s largest packaging distributor have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Infrastructure Engineer to join our IT team based at our Coventry Head Office. We are a committed equal opportunities employer that champions ‘dignity in the workplace’. Our focus is to provide customers with fully integrated and innovative packaging solutions, augmented by outstanding customer service and our central IT department prides itself on providing first class support to the wider group business.
The Infrastructure Engineer Role
We are seeking a skilled and motivated IT Infrastructure Engineer to join our team and play a key role in managing and maintaining our organization’s IT infrastructure. The ideal candidate will possess a deep understanding of network, server, and cloud technologies and will be responsible for ensuring the stability, performance, and security of our IT systems. A proactive approach, suggesting continuous improvement and ways to achieve step change in our IT infrastructure is required.
Infrastructure Engineer Key Responsibilities
- Network Infrastructure: Design, implement, and maintain network infrastructure, including switches, routers, firewalls, and VPNs. Monitor and optimize network performance, troubleshoot connectivity issues, and ensure network security.
- Server Management: Administer and support Windows servers, both on-premises and in the cloud. Perform server installations, updates, and configurations. Monitor server health and respond to system alerts.
- Cloud Services: Manage and optimize cloud services (e.g., AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud). Deploy, scale, and maintain cloud-based infrastructure. Ensure cost-efficient utilization of cloud resources.
- Storage Solutions: Implement and maintain storage systems, such as SAN and NAS. Manage data backup and recovery processes.
- Virtualization: Administer virtualization platforms (e.g., VMware, Hyper-V) and create virtual machines as needed. Optimize virtual infrastructure for performance and resource allocation.
- Security: Collaborate with the security team to implement and maintain security measures, including firewalls, intrusion detection systems, and access controls. Perform regular security audits and apply patches and updates.
- Monitoring and Troubleshooting: Proactively monitor infrastructure components, identify, and resolve issues, and minimize downtime. Implement best practices for system performance, availability, and redundancy.
- Documentation: Maintain up-to-date documentation of infrastructure configurations, procedures, and policies.
- Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including developers, IT support, and management, to ensure that infrastructure solutions meet the organization's needs.
- Disaster Recovery: Develop and test disaster recovery plans to minimize data loss and ensure business continuity in the event of system failures or disasters.
Do you have the correct profile?
To apply for this opportunity, you must have a valid UK driving license and will ideally meet with most of the criteria outlined below…
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, information technology, or related field (or equivalent work experience).
- Professional certifications (e.g., CompTIA Network+, Cisco CCNA, AWS Certified Solutions Architect) are a plus.
- Proven experience in IT infrastructure design, implementation, and maintenance.
- Proficiency in managing Windows and Linux server environments.
- Strong knowledge of networking protocols, VPNs, firewalls, and security best practices.
- Experience with virtualization technologies (VMware, Hyper-V) and cloud platforms (AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Solid understanding of storage solutions (SAN, NAS) and backup procedures.
- Familiarity with IT security principles, practices, and tools.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work well in a team.
- Strong communication and documentation skills.
- Availability for occasional after-hours support and maintenance tasks.
We provide a competitive basic starting salary and operate a range of rewarding bonus/incentive schemes. Our flexible employee benefits can include: –
- 25 days annual leave (rising to 27 days with service) plus all public/bank holidays
- Additional Holiday purchasing scheme (run annually)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Free parking at most of our site locations
- Annual (company paid) volunteering day
- Range of company cars or cash allowance (including hybrid/electric) for qualifying job roles
- Employee assistance program to support & advise with well-being & any issues
- Extensive range of training/development & potential progression opportunities
- Employee discount scheme (discounts on several major retail/leisure brands)
- Simply Health/Dental Cover option or BUPA cover for qualifying roles
- Enhanced HR policies relating to various employee rights & entitlements
- Long service awards (5-40 years)
- Charitable giving options
- Financial support with eye-tests/purchasing glasses (DSE users only)
- O2 Mobile discount scheme (up to 25% off)
- Candidate referral scheme (awards £750 for referring successful applicants to Macfarlane job vacancies)
Macfarlane Group is also dedicated to maximizing every employee’s potential, by providing career development plans and pathways in an environment that fosters personal growth and continuous improvement.
How to apply/next steps
The successful applicant will join us in January 2024, but we are keen to meet with people now and in the coming weeks to ensure we have identified the best available individuals at the interview. Please note that Macfarlane Group supports 'hybrid working' where possible and we often conduct our first stage interviews via video. To make an application please simply click 'apply' ensuring that your CV is up to date and relevant.
All applications will be acknowledged, shortlisted applicants normally hearing from us within a week or two. Unsuccessful applicants will also be notified at the end of our process, although if you haven’t heard from us within 2-3 weeks of applying, please assume your application has been unsuccessful.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES PLEASE