Estimator (Packaging Manufacturing)
Sector: Manufactured Packaging
Location: Grantham, Lincolnshire
Package: Basic Salary up to £23,000 plus Bonus
& other excellent PLC Company Benefits
Macfarlane Packaging has been at the forefront in the design and manufacture of transit packaging for nearly 60 years. We use leading 3D design software, an extensive range of packaging materials and a variety of manufacturing and assembly processes. We employ over 140 people and produce several thousand different types of bespoke composite packs to customers in the Industrial, Defence, Aerospace, Electronics and Medical sectors. We have two manufacturing sites and an extensive distribution network that enables us to supply customers across the UK. Macfarlane Packaging Design and Manufacture is a part of the Macfarlane Group, the marketing leading packaging company.
We are seeking to strengthen our current team (based in Grantham) with this urgent appointment. The estimator we are seeking to appoint will have the ability to demonstrate knowledge of all areas of packaging manufacture and estimating. An understanding of all the production processes from print to conversion and assembly is essential with particular emphasis on carton design and layout. Key responsibilities will include…
- Estimating accurate production costs using current estimating system or knowledge of similar systems
- Liaising with internal departments, from material procurement, sales, design, print, die cutting, timber, assembly to warehouse and despatch
- Preparing estimates for the Design Manager and Account Managers
- Producing estimates within agreed timescales
- Verify carton and layout with each department for production and cost efficiency
- Analyse and determine quantity and cost of all raw materials used in manufacturing
- Assess spoilage/waste of all raw materials, machine make ready time, run speeds, run time, hand work if applied, for all manufacturing processes
- Obtaining sub-contractor estimates for any external finishing
- Reviewing prices on a regular basis to ensure that they are kept up to date with changing information
- Developing procedures for pricing / costing work
- Manage tenders to achieve strict deadlines
Do you have the correct profile?
Our ideal candidate will come from a packaging production/manufacturing background, albeit some aspects can be trained. The successful applicant will certainly bring strong mathematical (including measuring) skills accompanied by good proficiency in using MS Office (particularly strong Excel skills advantageous). We also need someone who is accustomed to working under pressure and comfortable liaising closely with customers on a regular basis to understand specifications and explain technical procedures.
In return we offer a competitive basic starting salary along with an attractive performance/profit linked bonus scheme and a flexible employee benefits scheme that includes: up to 33 days annual leave (*includes bank holidays and service increase after five years), contributory pension, childcare vouchers & employee discount scheme. Macfarlane Group is also dedicated to maximizing every employee’s potential, by providing career development plans and pathways in an environment that fosters personal growth and continuous improvement.
This is a key hire for us whereby we seek someone to commence ASAP. Shortlisted applicants can therefore expect to be invited swiftly for local interview across the next 2-3 weeks. To make an application please simply click ‘apply’ ensuring that your CV is up to date and relevant. Please note that all shortlisted candidates can expect to hear back from us within five working days of making their application. If you do not therefore hear back within that timeframe, please assume that your application has not been successful on this particular occasion.
NO RECRUITMENT AGENCIES PLEASE