Our goal to achieve a zero to landfill status in 2018 was very close with all businesses across the Group achieving over 97% of waste diverted from landfill. The levels of waste segregated on site decreased slightly to 67% (2017: 68%).
Our Labels division, through recycling 69 tonnes (2017: 70 tonnes) of paper-based backing product as part of their waste reduction programme, again achieved the best result in the Group with 99.9% (2017: 99.9%) waste diverted from landfill.
Further achievements in 2018 include:
- Appointment of Group Quality and Environmental Manager to focus efforts in this area and to support the Group in achieving its environmental goals
- Nottingham Recycling, part of the Group, is now managing all baled corrugated and plastic waste streams
Our key environmental objectives for 2019 include;
- Continuous review and appraisals of all sites every quarter with a view to making efficiencies;
- Consider options for capital expenditure to improve efficiency in the Group’s recovery and recycling activities;
- Incorporate all new sites under the Group waste contract therefore ensuring compliance, regular reviews and appraisals to support the overall Group targets;
- Provide further training on portal reports to improve site waste management;
- Deliver savings through the Manufacturing Waste Reduction Programme; and
- Develop a transition plan to register recent acquisitions to BSI ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard.