Our goal to achieve a ’zero to landfill’ status in 2019 was very close with all businesses across the Group achieving over 98.3% of waste diverted from landfill. The levels of waste segregated on site increased to 73% (2018: 67%).
Our Labels division, through recycling 50 tonnes (2018: 69 tonnes) of paper-based backing product as part of their waste reduction programme, again achieved the best result in the Group with 99.9% (2018: 99.9%) waste diverted from landfill.
Table 4 demonstrates significant improvements in the recycling and recovery rate figures in the last ten years.
Further achievements in 2019 are:
- The majority of Macfarlane sites now purchase electricity through renewable sources.
- Four of our sites are now registered as FSC® accredited, facilitating the procurement and distribution of sustainably sourced products.
Our key environmental objectives for 2020 include:
- Continuous review and appraisals of all sites every quarter with a view to making efficiencies;
- Consider options for capital expenditure to improve efficiency in the Group’s recovery and recycling activities, taking into account the findings from our Energy Savings Opportunity Scheme (’ESOS’) report;
- Incorporate all new sites under the Group waste contract therefore ensuring compliance, regular reviews and appraisals to support the overall Group targets;
- Continuation of our programme to introduce LED lighting throughout our sites;
- Deliver savings through the Manufacturing Waste Reduction Programme;
- Develop a transition plan to register recent acquisitions to BSI ISO 14001 Environmental Management Standard; and
- Increasing the number of sites capable of selling products which are FSC certified as coming from sustainable sources.