Our goal to achieve a zero to landfill status in 2017 was very close with all businesses across the Group achieving over 99% of waste diverted from landfill. The levels of waste segregated on site also increased to 68%.
Our Labels division, through recycling 70 tonnes of paper-based backing product as part of their waste reduction programme, achieved the best result in the Group with 99.9% waste diverted from landfil.
Our key environmental objectives for 2018 include;
- Continuous review and appraisals of all sites every 3 months with a view to making efficiencies
- Explore potential benefits through the waste management division of our most recent acquisition, Nottingham Recycling Ltd, who provide the recovery of sorted materials
- Look at the feasibility of capex expenditure in roll packers for wood waste, the latest compactors for corrugated waste and options for sawdust waste
- Review options on plastic strapping, now classed as a general waste item
- Provide further training on portal reports to reduce invoice queries and improve site waste management
- Deliver savings through the Manufacturing Waste Reduction Programme